Sunday, March 28, 2010

Who cut the Cheese...cake? Snicker's style


Cheesecakes…

For some reason, I’ve never been a huge fan. In theory, I would think cheesecakes would be one of my favorite desserts. I have a deep passion for all things cheese.

My favorite breakfast is an English muffin, with sliced pears and Brie on top, broiled for like five minutes so the Brie gets bubbly. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.

In my apartment we have an entire drawer in our refrigerator devoted to cheese. You can bring cheese for any occasion, eat it during any meal, and enjoy it all year round. In the summer, nothing beats a ripe, juicy cantaloupe with a chunk of sharp cheddar except maybe fresh mozzarella with ripe tomatoes from the garden. Outdoor music – we’ve got you covered, just get yourself some baby rounds of wax-covered Gouda. Want to add a little laughter to your meal? – Check out the Laughing Cow’s. They remind me a lot of my childhood and Saturday morning errands with my Pops. Every time I go to Wisconsin I have to stop at a Culver’s and get cheese curds and a malt, to go. I could hit up the Culver’s in the Chicago land area, but the reality is, it’s just not the same. Wisconsin cheese, there’s nothing better. Cheese is probably a cow and goat’s greatest gift to humans.

Cheese is something I feel passionately about. Please do not try to pass off American cheese as a real cheese option on my burger, sandwich, or crackers. While I may have fallen for your “singles” as a child, my tastes are definitely more refined, not to mention all the processing and plastic can’t be good for you.

Cheese…its GOOOUDA….

But when it comes to cheesecake – I’m not a huge fan. I can’t exactly pinpoint what I don’t like about it. It’s a combo of things I’m sure, from the texture to the all around taste. However, I know there are those of you out there who LOVE your cheesecake. Who look at the dessert menu and get excited to get a slice of New York Cheesecake. Who dream about the Cheesecake Factory, not because of their food, but because of the cheesecake options. Who aren’t big “cake” fans, but for some reason really like cheesecake. The Golden Girls loved cheesecake, or at least their characters did.

World wide web – meet my roommate Kim. For the record, she is NOT a Golden Girl, but sometimes our lives may be mirrored by the Golden Girls, but most of the time not. We’ve been roommates for four years and we’ve known each other like double that time. She’s never been a big sweets fan. Her birthday always falls during lent and most of the time she’s given up candy and sweet things. This year was different. Kim didn’t give up sweets for lent. She also decided to throw a huge party at our house in her honor. This party included food, kegs, people, and naturally, a birthday cake. For her birthday, as with most people’s birthdays I wanted to make her a fantastic birthday cake. She’s not a huge chocolate fan and she likes to be healthy. She loves cheesecake. So for her birthday she wanted a Snicker’s cheesecake, because she loves Snickers too.

Making this cheesecake was daunting. Not only is it a dessert that doesn’t jump off the menu at me, but I didn’t have a palatable reference for it either. I had never made a cheesecake before, let alone a Snicker’s one. I felt pressured. In my brain I took apart every piece of cheesecake I had ever eaten and tried to figure out what it was missing and how I could make it better and incorporate the Snicker’s aspect. Mostly, I wanted to make sure I kept true to the Snickers taste and just used the cheesecake as a canvas.

So here’s where the recipe and the cheesecake adventure started.

Snicker’s Cheesecake – A collection of aspects from multiple sources

Ingredients:
Crust: (A little help from Recipezaar.)
1 ½ cups – Nilla Wafers, food processed so they’re finely ground (about 38 cookies)
½ cup – peanuts, ground/crushed/chopped/fine
1/3 cup – unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake Filling: (A little help from Chef2Chef)
3 – 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1 cup – sugar
4 – eggs
1 TBSP – vanilla extract
¾ cup – heavy whipping cream
¼ cup – peanut butter (I used extra crunchy, but you can use whatever your heart desires)
14 – snack sized Snickers bars, chopped into small pieces (it’s about 1 ½ cups) – I bought an 11.18 oz bag of the Snickers – the remaining ones from the bag I chopped and used as garnish)

Topping:
Snickers bars, finely chopped (see note above)
Fudge sauce (I used pre-made that I bought in the ice cream aisle)
1 cup – peanuts, crushed or ground
Whipped cream (optional)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9-10” spring form pan with cooking spray.
In the food processor, grind the cookies and peanuts. Place in a bowl and add the melted butter. Stir until everything is combined. Pour the cookie crust into the bottom of a spring form pan. Use a cold measuring cup to press the crust evenly into the bottom and 1” up the sides of the spring form pan. Set crust aside.

In your mixer, cream the cream cheese, sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. (It can be very difficult to dump the cream cheese into the mixer. I recommend opening all the packages and laying them on your counter. Use a knife to slice them into smaller pieces and dump them in your bowl. Use the knife to scrape any cream cheese remnants that are left on the foil. No doubt, you will probably end up using your fingers at some point.) Add the eggs to the cream cheese mixture one at a time. Making sure they are fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Next add the vanilla and heavy cream. Beat the mixture for five minutes on a medium speed. Gently fold the Snickers pieces into the cream cheese batter.

Carefully, pour the filling into the crust. It will go over the top of the crust. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes (check on it after an hour). The cheesecake will be pretty puffed up and should look almost set, but still have a little jiggle in the middle.

The cheesecake will be really puffed up when you take it out of the oven, it does fall over time. Don’t worry; it will still taste good.

Let the cheesecake cool to room temperature before putting in the fridge (1-2 hours). Refrigerate cheesecake for at least 4-6 hours before serving. I refrigerate my cake still with the sides of the spring form pan on, but you don’t have to. Just whenever you are taking the sides off, make sure to run a knife around the edge of the pan so it’s an easy removal.

When you’re ready to serve, top the cooled cheesecake with a jar of chocolate sauce, Snicker’s bar pieces, crushed peanuts, and whipped cream.

Substitutions:

If you’re looking to substitute anything, here’s what I would recommend.
- Instead of ‘Nilla wafers use chocolate graham crackers or chocolate wafers in the crust.
- If you’re wanting to go ‘nut-less’, take the ½ cup of nuts out of the crust and add a ½ cup of cookies. Also, don’t add the peanut butter into the filling and instead change the ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream to 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- Wouldn’t it be great with Reese’s Peanut Butter cups as the candy instead?

Wrap Up:
As you already know, I’m not a huge cheesecake fan, but even I liked this cheesecake. I think it’s because it was the furthest thing from boring. The crust was interesting, the filling wasn’t too cheesy and thick and the toppings just made it a million times better. I got good feedback on this cake. It wasn’t too difficult to make and the presentation was gorgeous. Kim was very happy and super pleased. It lived up to her tastes as to what a good cheesecake is all about. The one thing I would change is that I would for sure cut the Snickers garnish into very small pieces. Honestly, I’d probably food process them. They were a little too chunky (because I was a little too lazy) and once the leftover cake was put back in the fridge, they were really hard to bite into. Additionally, the sides of the crust were a little too thick, but the bottom was too thin. So in the future, I just need to make sure it’s spread a little more evenly.
My first cheesecake was a success. I was really nervous about it, especially when it fell/settled and I didn’t expect that. This sure beat out any boring, plain, fruit from a can, cheesecake I have had in my past. I might be growing a little fonder of cheesecakes, but I’m not completely converted yet. I think what really got me was that it was pretty and fairly easy to make once I figured out how I wanted to get it done. I’m a sucker for aesthetics; after all, you eat with your eyes first.

3 comments:

  1. I also love, love, love cheese (especially gouda) but do not like cheesecake that much. It is a texture thing for me. It is too dense and sticks to the top of my mouth. I hate that. This one looks great though!- Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never met a cheese or cheesecake I did not like. This sounds delightful on all counts. Did I mention my fondness for the Snickers Bar?
    Oh yes. - Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesecakes have been introduced to my world once again. You sold me on the Snickers but now that you mention it, Reese's does sound way better.

    ReplyDelete